On Saturday, July 20th Eagle Point- Blue Rapids Parks Council hosted an amazing 12th Annual Parks Day!
After so much rain, the sun came out and the weather stayed amazing all day, giving us perfect weather so that everyone could enjoy a myriad of outdoor activities!
Activities and Partners
Due to the high water on the river, the Drayton Valley Paddling Club organized a bus trip to nearby Buck Lake where close to 80 paddlers enjoyed the smooth conditions!
The Brazeau Bowbenders provided an archery experience for others at their outdoor archery gallery and the participants enjoyed shooting at varied targets including bears and other animals. Mushroom enthusiasts grabbed their baskets and headed into Hilltop Trails in search of edibles and other beautiful fungi while the West Central River Boat Association got our adrenalin going with jet boat rides for 400 people! Children’s activities included sack races and tug of war contests, hula hooping, rides on Lil Toot Train and crafts. Our Buskers brought out their guitars, violins, harps, pianos and improv skills to the delight of a rapt audience, while a variety of vendors provided us with a craft market and festival atmosphere! Lastly, Morning Star Dancers and Drummers stunned us with their drumming and spectacular costumes! A free community barbeque hosted by ATCO fed around 500 hungry Parks Day celebrants before we called it a wrap for 2019.
Thank you to everyone in attendance, our Partner Recreational Clubs, our Sponsors and all the wonderful volunteers who came out to support this event!
So Much Support from Individuals and Organizations! We’re feeling the love!
Eagle Point – Blue Rapids Parks Council would like to show appreciation to operators Scott and Sherry, and the rest of the staff at Willey West for the use of the campground for the event. Parks Day would not have been possible if it wasn’t for the wonderful staff at Willey West Campground. They prepared the campground and spent the whole day helping us with whatever was needed. We were overjoyed to have had them aboard on Parks Day!
Eagle Point – Blue Rapids Parks Council would also like to acknowledge the following clubs and individuals for all their help:
- Danielle Titanich, Elaine Tamboline, Rita Fowell and all those from the Drayton Valley Paddling Club for providing their volunteers and canoes
- Leonard Claffey and the Bowbenders Archery Club for providing their archery lane and their expertise
- Wayne Stec, Derek Nelson and the volunteers from the West Central Riverboat Association for providing their boats and fuel!
- Our Parks Council members Denis Poissant, Dave Swindlehurst, Tammie Stafford and Av Peck for volunteering
So many people had a great time! We heard so many positive comments from attendees – whether they paddled around Buck Lake enjoying a water fight, experienced archery or enjoyed a jet boat ride on the river.
- Rose Letourneau who offered her expertise on the mushroom foray
- Shawna McLay who dedicated her time to help lead children activities
- Leah Sanderson from the library who read stories all afternoon long in the tipi,
- All of our summer crafts market vendors
- The House of Mouse Improv Troupe
- Duo Martina Ochsner and Kenneth Johnson
- Harpist Rhiannon Gressler
- Wayne the Fiddler
- Pianist and Singer Stepanie Brokop.
Lastly we would like to thank the Morning Star First Nations Drummers and Dancers for their spectacular performance. It was an honour to have all of you be a part of Parks Day this year.
Eagle Point – Blue Rapids Parks Council would like to recognize ATCO for being a major sponsor for the event and sending their crew; Liam Carr, Ethan Jackson, Logan Sexsmith, Cam Jackson, and Ernie Jackson to cook the delicious hotdogs and burgers for the Parks Day barbeque! The meal was fantastic!