https://www.epbrparkscouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Weather-Radar.jpeg 1024 812 kevin https://www.epbrparkscouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Eagle-Point-Blue-Rapids-Parks-Council-Logo.png kevin2020-10-22 22:25:382022-11-16 05:40:25Prepare for Winter!
Prepare for Winter!
ARE YOU PREPARED FOR WINTER WEATHER?
By Erin Klatt
It’s that time of year, when the days are shorter, the weather changes faster and you really need to be dressed for anything. In beautiful Alberta, you can experience all four seasons in one day! There are some key things that you should keep in mind when heading outdoors.
#1. Dress in Layers!
- Layers are key to controlling your body temperature.
- Base layer: Moisture management as this layer is against your skin. (Think long johns!)
- Mid Layer: Warmth & insulation (think vest or sweater).
- Outer Shell: Waterproof & Breathable — protects you from wind & rain/snow… (think rain coat & pants).
- Don’t forget things like mitts, toque and weather appropriate socks that cover your ankles (wool are best)!
#2. Be Prepared!
- Make sure someone knows where you are going & when you will be back.
- When exploring the outdoors, don’t forget to have some means of communication with you. Cell phones are great, but you can’t always get reception! If you are heading to the mountains or other remote areas it is a good idea to have a SPOT or Garmin in-Reach device that connects with satellites.
- Check out trail & weather reports – know what you are getting into! Alberta Parks Trail Reports and Parks Canada trail reports are found online.
#3. Practice basic trail etiquette!
- Leave No Trace: this means if you pack something in, you pack it out.
- Share the trail: hikers yield to bikers; hikers and bikers yield to horses.